Appeals – Form B (Formal Inquiry)
Information Box Group
- Academic Integrity Policy decision of a Faculty Adjudicator
- Form B Formal Inquiry decisions
- Code of Student Rights & Responsibilities – certain decisions of the Dean of Students
For these types of appeals, please visit the Form C: Appeal to the Senate Board for Student Appeals page.
Before filing a Form B students are expected to initiate a preliminary inquiry by going directly to the appropriate instructor, officer or University authority whose decision/action is being questioned.
If the preliminary inquiry has not resolved the matter in a timely fashion, students should then proceed to filing the Form B.
The timelines for submitting a Form B must be adhered to.
Deadlines to file a Form B are directly related to the Term in which the work was originally assessed.
The Form B must be submitted to the appropriate Office no later than:
- July 31 immediately following the Fall/Winter Term
- November 15 immediately following the Spring/Summer Term
What is a Form B: Formal Inquiry
There are two types of Formal Inquiry: – Academic Process and Non-Academic Process
A student questions their grade or the assessment of their performance on a piece of work or in a course, or their academic standing or status in a program, and alleges error or injustice on grounds other than the academic assessment of their work, such as:
- the method of evaluation was not fair and reasonable in the circumstances; or
- the instructor was biased against the student; or
- the instructor deviated substantially from the course outline in contravention of applicable University policies; or
- the application of University regulations governing program or degree requirements was not fair, just, or reasonable.
A student questions as unfair, unjust or unreasonable, a decision or action of a University authority or official, which has negative material consequences for their University life, and which is unrelated to courses, or to program or degree requirements.
Information Box Group
The matter will be investigated as per the Student Appeal Procedures and the Associate/Assistant Dean shall make a decision and respond in writing with reasons.
This response is normally provided within three weeks of receiving the formal inquiry.
Undergraduate Student Submissions
The Form B must be submitted to the appropriate Office.
Undergraduate Students are to submit to the Faculty/Program that is responsible for the decision being questioned.
For students in degree programs not offered by a Faculty (e.g. the Arts and Science Program), the Program Director is equivalent to the Associate Dean of a Faculty.